Cold weather and wintry darkness cause many of us to crave warm, heavy, comfort food that offers little nutrition and weighs us down with extra calories and low energy. Here’s a warm, winter dish that satisfies those comfort cravings but with energy-lifting ingredients that leave you satisfied and nourished. On top of that, it’s easy to prepare!
Three Sisters Squash (1000 Vegan Recipes. By Robin Robertson)
- Cut 1 Acorn squash in half and remove seeds; set aside
- Cook until softened (about 5 minutes): ½ medium onion. Add to onion: 2 garlic cloves, 1 mild or hot chile; cook another minute
- Add to onion mixture: 1 can drained and rinsed pinto beans, 1 Cup fresh or frozen corn, 2 T minced fresh cilantro or parsley, salt & pepper to taste. Mix well, then stuff mixture into Acorn halves, packing tightly
- Place stuffed squash halves into baking pan. Pour 1 Cup hot water into bottom of baking pan and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake until squash is tender, about 1 ½ hours